Wednesday, November 25

Bourjois Java Rice Powder - Hourglass dupe?

DSC_0181-002DSC_0188-001
As Christmas rolls around again, everybody and their neighbours cat seem to be talking about this year’s limited edition Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder palette. This year it’s called the Ambient Lighting Edit and does look rather wonderful but at £65 for just over a quarter ounce of product, it is definitely not affordable.

For those looking for a lightweight luminious powder to set their makeup but unwilling to part with £38 for a powder compact, there is thankfully a pretty brilliant high street dupe from Bourjois. The Bourjois Java Rice Powder (or Poudre de Riz) is actually one of the brand’s earliest products bought back for their 150th anniversary. Thus this finely milled loose powder is packaged in a vintage style pot guaranteed to look lovely on any vanity. Pretty packaging aside however, this is a lovely powder perfect for setting makeup without completely mattifying the skin.

There is quite a lot of glittery shimmer packed into the powder, which looks a bit scary if you blend this out with a finger. I do wish the glitter wasn’t in there but when applied with a brush I don’t find it transfers too much to the face. Even if it does I don’t mind the tiny glitter particles as they are so fine most people probably wont notice. I use the Real Techniques Duo-Fibre Face Brush to apply this all over my face alongside the Real Techniques Setting Brush to really set the concealer underneath my eyes.

I’ve used this powder daily for months now and I really love it. It’s a perfect translucent powder for dry-skinned gals who want to set their makeup without looking dry or cakey. The 3.5 grams will last you absolutely ages as you only need a miniscule amount each time and the sugary sweet packaging and softly floral scent make using this feel far more high end than the £9.99 price tag.

Is this a dupe for the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders? I don’t own them so I can’t comment but I have swatched them in store and have had them applied to my face and I personally don’t think they’re worth their massive hype. They are nice powders but you can find some really great powders at the drugstore now.

Have you tried the Java Rice Powder, or do you really rate the Hourglass powders?

Bourjois Java Rice Powder, £9.99 for 3.5g, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, £38 for Real Techniques Duo-Fibre Face Brush Set, £23.99, Real Techniques Setting Brush, £8.99

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this but it sounds and looks great! I have the Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette and I do really like but can bet I'm definitely interested to fine dupes for it.:D

    - GIVEAWAY! - www.veebzboo.com/veebz-boo-com-birthday-plus-giveaway
    - www.youtube.com/veebzboo - My Autumn Matte Make-up Look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really lovely setting powder, I love using it to set without mattifying!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - I love it, it's a staple in my routine!

      Delete
  3. This seems like a great product!!

    I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read. Maybe we can follow each other on Bloglovin?
    www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

    Deepti x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my all time favourites.

      Of course, you have a lovely blog - I've just followed you on Bloglovin'!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting :)