Friday, January 15

12 balms to keep your lips kissably soft this winter

A selection of lip balms for dry lips
While Christmas is over, the first months of the year are often the coldest and with winter, come chapped lips, it's inevitable. I cure dry lips with a ton of balm and thought it would be good to share and review my large collection; the highs, the lows, and the wonderful cures for chapped lips.
Nivea Lip Balms: Nivea's twist up sticks are classic and while they aren't always made with the kindest ingredients they do keep lips soft throughout the day and you can pick one up anywhere. I love the Essential Care balm when I need a quick slick of moisture and protection but don't need to use one of my more heavy duty balms. This contains Jojoba oil and Shea Butter so will soften dry lips.

The Soft Rose version has been a favourite of mine for forever - I can remember using this before I wore makeup. For that reason I adore it's nostalgic soft rose scent. On application this feels a bit waxy, not so slippy and gives a very subtle pink sheen. Finally I love Nivea's Fruity Shine in Peach for a quick slick of sheer coral colour and a delicious peach yogurt scent.

Blistex Relief Cream: While this doesn't look very appealing (and the name 'relief cream' doesn't help), it's been a staple of mine for years for it's magical lip softening powers. Obviously it isn't magical, I think it's the blend of ammonia, but this really packs a punch at softening cracked lips. Perfect for seriously dry days when you're struggling with sore lips. I pair this with something more moisturising for soft, kissable lips.

Bee Good Vanilla & Honey Lip Balm: If I'm honest I bought this for the scent and I was left disappointed. This doesn't have a strong scent of vanilla or honey but is a nice blend of oily, natural ingredients that will moisturise your lips. This isn't a favourite as I find that oily balms can sit on top of my lips more than soften them, and because for some reason it's really damn hard to get it out of the tube, but I do reach for it from time to time.

Garnier Sun Protection Lip Care: Your lips can burn just as your face does so it's important to keep a lip balm with SPF on hand. This one from Garnier offers UVA and UVB protection for your lips without that annoying white cast. It also smells like summer.

Ren Vita Mineral Lip Balm: One of two all time favourites, this balm from Ren will leave you with soft and moisturised lips. It really sinks in to the lips leaving them nourished and its thick formula sticks around for a while. I love it and I've spoken in length about it here.

The Organic Pharmacy Antioxidant Lip Balm: This lovely rose scented balm is lighter than Ren's but still packs a punch. It's very softening and will nourish your lips but doesn't last as long as Ren's so I wouldn't recommend purchasing it especially as it's £3 more for half the product.

Balance Me Shine on Tinted Lip Salve: I love a lot of Balance Me products but unfortunately this isn't one. It does an ok job of moisturising lips but it doesn't pack enough punch for me. It's also a let down because it's marketed as tinted but really has next to no colour.

Vichy Aqualia Thermal Lip: I purchased this to bump up an Escentual order once, and it's an ok balm with a nice scent. I don't find it does much for me however but I reach for it occasionally when I want something non offensive and can't find a Nivea version.

Nuxe Reve de Miel: I've saved the best till last and this blogger favourite deserves all the love it gets. This little pot is my favourite because its unusually buttery thick formula thoroughly nourishes lips and can be left on overnight for lovely smooth lips come morning. I've written even more about this balm here. However, the stick formula is completely different. It's still a nice balm, and has the gorgeous lemon, honey scent, but is far more oily and I find it sits on the lips without really doing anything.

Congratulations for reaching the end of that massive lip balm post! I hope you enjoyed the run down of my favourite lip balms for soft lips, as well as a few to pass up on. If you can't tell, my favourites are from Ren and Nuxe and I use them both daily, along with a Nivea in my pocket and some Blistex for curing seriously chapped lips. What are your favourites - am I missing out on something special?

Nivea Essential Care Lip Balm, £1.55, Nivea Soft Rose Lip Balm, £1.65, Nivea's Fruity Shine in Peach, £1.99, Blistex Relief Cream, £2.69, Bee Good Vanilla & Honey Lip Balm, £4.75, Garnier Sun Protection Lip CareRen Vita Mineral Lip Balm, £9, The Organic Pharmacy Antioxidant Lip Balm, £12, Balance Me Shine on Tinted Lip Salve, £6, Vichy Aqualia Thermal Lip, £3.25, Nuxe Reve de Miel balm, £9.50, Nuxe Reve de Miel stick, £6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)