Sunday, April 24

Perfect every time fluffy American pancakces


I'm a sweet breakfast kinda gal. As much as I love saussages, beans and eggs, I'm never craving a full English for breakfast. I'd rather have waffles, chocolate cereal or a big stack of pancakes! This recipe is one that I've used for more than 5 years and I always come back to it.

I use this BBC Food recipe and mostly stick to it but I have a few tricks and I usually do double the amount because I eat a lot of pancakes! (Also I usually cook for three, if you're cooking for one definitely do half of the recipe below.

You will need
9 1/2 oz Plain Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp caster sugar
9floz almond milk (or milk of choice)
2 large eggs, split

2 tbsp melted butter
1tsp vanilla extract

Method
  • Melt your butter in the frying pan on the hob. 
  • Measure your dry ingredients and mix well. 
  • In a separate bowl whisk up your two egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Set aside.
  • Add your egg yolks to the dry ingredients and mix into the dry with an electric whisk while slowly pouring in the milk. Pour in the melted butter and whisk again to combine.
  • Once well mixed, add a little of the whisked whites mixture and fold in to loosen the mixture. Once mixed, gently fold in the rest of the whites.
  • When your pancake batter is ready, spoon gently onto the hob into 5 inch circles.
  • Once the batter bubbles your pancake is ready to flip, the underside should be golden.
These are best served immediately but if you want a stack you can set them in a tray in a very low oven to keep warm while you cook patches of pancakes. While I'm all for a thin English pancake sometimes I want something more substantial. The whisked egg whites really give these pancakes a gorgeously fluffy texture. The melted butter adds flavour and a little crisipness to the edges.

I love to serve my pancakes with thick golden syrup, a little butter, and an array of different sweet spreads. Toffee sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate spread, lotus biscoff spread and even rum butter pair brilliantly with these fluffy american pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)